Highlighted
Project Leader

Has anyone migrated from Vision 7.6 to Deltek for Professional Services

We are currently in the cloud with Vision 7.6 and are looking forward to migrating to DPS, however, I had a few questions.  I posted a couple through the customer site Deltek set up for DPS, but I found the answers a little troubling.  My first question was would any changes made in the preview environment stay once the production data is migrated.  The answer was 'No'.  So, then I asked how long we would have access to either Vision 7.6 or the preview environment in order to get the all the settings copied over for the live environment.  The answer was that we lose all access once migrated to DPS.  So, Deltek is expecting everyone to take copious notes and screenshots of absolutely everything so that you have to recreate all your settings and configurations that way.  Is that correct?  That seems highly inefficient, things could be missed.  It would definitely help if you had access to your old version for a while.

What has been the experience for anyone else who migrated?

Extremely curious to see how it went.

Kelly

Innovation Leader

Re: Has anyone migrated from Vision 7.6 to Deltek for Professional Services

Our firm has migrated. You are right, changes in the preview environment are not reflected when you actually make the transition. They create a preview environment at a certain point in time, and you play around with it to learn about DPS. But it's not meant to be a step towards the actual migration, more of a training tool, to test your processes.

I kind of doubt this will ever change. It's too difficult because as soon as you setup up two databases, they diverge. Trying to pull them back together again would be a challenge,

There are bi monthly updates to DPS right now, it's changing fast. There are bugs in it, but the core processes work well. I'm happy we made the switch, because DPS is just so much more user firendly than Vision. Our staff were very receptive to it. Training was miles easier than on Vision.

A lot of the stuff is the same. You aren't going to have to make a pile of changes, most likely. Are there some? Sure, there are changes, and you'll have to probably keep some notes. I didn't play around with the configuration audit trail but maybe you could use it to track your DPS changes in the preview environment. In my opinion, it's more process based changes, as some of the apps function a little differently. 

We migrated in November 2017 and it actually went very smooth.

Biggest impact is on Accounting staff, who have to go from using 1 program to using 2. 

If you have more specific questions let me know! 

Project Leader

How long did it take to do the actual migration?

Thanks for the input

Innovation Leader

They do it over a weekend. 24-48 hours.

Project Leader

I thought I had heard somewhere that iAccess is not available in DPS.  Is that true?

Innovation Leader

iAccess is DPS. Think of DPS as a full move of Vision to iAccess. So instead of it being a place just to look at projects, do plans and do some of the CRM work, you can also do your timesheet and expenses there, and look at reporting.

If your employees are using iAccess already, DPS is essentially the same thing. So trainign should be easy.

One thing I did notice was updating security. There is lots of different security settings needed on the different roles.

Innovation Leader

[ Edited ]

I will second what Matt said, we made the migration in the first window and everything is lost from the preview environment. We did take screenshots and notes from both Vision and our DPS test then made the changes following the migration and before turning our users loose on the system. It involved a bit of weekend work and a partial work day without end users having access to the system to get everything configured. We did not find it too overwhelming to make the updates once the migration was complete, but it does take planning and preparation up front to ease the transition. I suggest meetings with key groups/people, making assignments, notes and schedules, then committing time to make the system yours. 

I'd recommend preparing to reconfigure the screen layouts, etc. as that was a big part of the transition. 

We've been happy with DPS overall, but be prepared to have growing pains. 

Good luck!

Innovation Leader

What firm are you with Kevin? I know there aren't too many on DPS so far. I heard from Deltek support yesterday that they are struggling with the on premise deployment roll out.

We are in the cloud so don't have to worry about the on premise headache anymore. Well worth the cost IMO.

Innovation Leader

Jones & DeMille Engineering. We are in the cloud too as we have offices spread throughout Utah and employees working all over the place; moving from on premise to cloud has been a great improvement in the way out employees can access project and CRM info within DPS. We still have work to do, but the management and the company has finally begun to embrace DPS after fighting it for years while on VIsion. The improved UI and mobility has helped close that gap significantly. Expections are high for the upcoming releases of DPS to add more visual and robust reporting within the browser too so I hope Deltek comes through and that we can help our principals to have reasonable expections (they always seem to want the moon). 

Innovation Leader

Everyone always wants the fun stuff and overlooks the heavy lifting Deltek does on the day to day. I'm up in Alberta, Canada at Tagish Engineering (directly north of you about 12 hours) and as far as I know we are the only Canadian client using DPS at this time. We are also looking forward to the changes going forward.